Tuesday, July 5, 2011

FLG Wants A Greek Epithet

As FLG has mentioned before, the Hellenistic world had such great descriptive names:

Antigonus I Monophthalmus (one-eyed)
His son, Demetrius I Poliorcetes (who was a good general, but Poliorcetes "Besieger" was applied for his several unsuccessful siege attempts)

And then you've got the Ptolemies:
Ptolemy I Soter (Savior)
Ptolemy Keraunos (Thunder)
Ptolemy VIII Physcon (Potbelly)
Ptolemy XII Auletes (Flute player)

Then again, FLG won't be so particular to demand a Greek epithet. FLG Magnus. FLG the Red. He'd lobby for FLG the Pious, but doubts it would stick. Perhaps FLG il Magnifico. Or better yet, FLG le D├ębonnaire. Yes, that's it.

From now on, in formal documents such as histories, geographies, and royal decrees, FLG will demand to be referred to as FLG le D├ębonnaire.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

FLG Opa.

Opa is a word that Greek people use ofr no apparent reason at all. Greek waiters using it after igniting cheese drenched with brandy before dousing it with a squirt of lemon juice. If that doesn't say FLG I don't know what the fuck does.

(Betcha didn't know I could type swears)

Mrs. P

The Ancient said...

FLG Piraticus.

P.S. Mrs. P -- First the admission of carnality. Now the close imitation of a sailor. You are starting to sound almost, well, local. (But when I lived in Kolonaki, a million years ago, my local waiters were not so foreign.)

The Ancient said...

P.S. I hope that came across as affectionately as I intended.

arethusa said...

I like FLG Piraticus. (If you insist on Greek, I suppose it would be FLG Piratis.)

I think Opa! is best defined as a word that Greek restaurants in America use to hoodwink patrons into thinking they're getting the genuine Greek dining experience (not so - for one thing, customer service at American Greek restaurants is usually good). I find it embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

Names come into vogue. When I was a kid, mommies across America were whelping Daves in their tens of thousands. More recently, Jake. So, we shared a nanny for our kids, and #1 shared with a Jake. Then #2 shared with a Jake, so we adopted Jake the Greater and Jake the Lesser. THEN we got a share kid for #3 who was also a Jake, so that had to be Jake the Least. The #2 and #3 mommies were not entirely thrilled. dave.s.

FLG said...

Ancient/Arethusa:

FLG will accept nothing less than archpirate,like Andron.

Anonymous said...

Ancient, it did. Blogging goes so much better if you adopt an easily offensive attitude than easily offended.


Mrs. P

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.