Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Quote of the day

Socrates by way of Plato:
I do nothing but go about persuading you all, old and young alike, not to take thought for your persons and your properties, but first and chiefly to care about the greatest improvement of the soul. I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue come money and every other good of man, public as well as private. This is my teaching, and if this is the doctrine which corrupts the youth, my influence is ruinous indeed.

Was thinking about this today, after the Rorty stuff yesterday, and it occurred to me that this buttressed my theory about The Republic being first and foremost about the soul.

3 comments:

arethusa said...

"Socrates by way of Plato?" That suggests Plato is quoting Socrates verbatim here.

FLG said...

Who the fuck knows where Socrates ends and Plato begins? But I'm willing to say that the Apology was more or less verbatim.

arethusa said...

OK, that's fair.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.