Thursday, September 9, 2010

Correspondence

Flavia writes:
What I understood TNC to mean was that he respected Faulkner's talent while not particularly liking it--and that's different, to me, from reading someone because you think or someone has told you that you should respect him.

I don't have much time for the latter and I probably don't make as good-faith an effort with the former as I should. But I like the fact that TNC does.

Obviously, Flavia has a point.

But let's say the best painter in the world painted horribly disgusting and grotesque pictures. Pardon my crassness, but say clogged toilets. Well, I'm not going to sit there and admire his brushstroke technique. That's roughly how I feel about Faulkner's work.

1 comment:

Withywindle said...

Also knowledge of the tradition. And considering that if a lot of people respect and like something, your own taste might be lacking, and you should keep on reading for a bit to see if your taste improves. Or, at the very least, to understand the qualities of Faulkner or whomever, even if your distaste remains.

This I preach but only occasionally practice, of course.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.