Thursday, August 26, 2010

An Extended Conversation

MBA colleague:  We ought to know this document backwards and forwards.  I'm going to read every word.

FLG:  It's an analyst report.  You cull the relevant data and leave the rest.  Reading it line by line is not a very smart use of time.

Next morning....

MBA colleague:  I'm still not finished with the report.  How 'bout you?

FLG :  I spent 15 minutes on it, gathered a bit of insight and some relevant analysis.  Now, I'm more concerned with the financial statements.  (to himself:Idiot.  How do you get through life without knowing how to filter data appropriately?).

3 comments:

arethusa said...

Be kind, FLG. He's all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed with idealism and optimism. He lacks our world-weary pragmatic cynicism. (Which is of course much more efficient and fun.)

FLG said...

True, true. I think a big part of me being able to filter out bullshit is the result of taking several PhD level classes.

arethusa said...

I think a big part of me being able to filter out bullshit is the result of taking several PhD level classes.

Oh, so that's the value of a graduate education! Funny, though, how most graduate students fail to learn that lesson and instead propagate more BS.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.