Wednesday, July 28, 2010

An Email Conversation

FLG has been having a rough go of it today.

Dear Big Wig,

I understand you want to do Y. Doing Y also means doing X. X is bad. Maybe Y is better than X is bad, but I want you to understand and acknowledge that X is bad.

Sincerely,
FLG

FLG:

Thanks for the note. Y doesn't mean we have to do X.

Ciao,
BW

Dear Big Wig,

Actually, Y necessitates X. Again, X is bad. It doesn't mean we shouldn't do Y, but you need to realize that Y also means X comes along for the ride.

Sincerely,
FLG

FLG:

I've conferred with one of my employees. Apparently, Y does necessitate X. Luckily, we are all in agreement that X is not that bad.

Ciao,
BW

Dear Big Wig,

I'm glad you acknowledge that Y also means X. However, I fear you've misunderstood my previous emails. X is bad. Not "not bad." Bad bad. If you think the benefits of Y outweigh the badness of X, then fine. But X is bad.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
FLG

FLG:

Thanks for your note. You think X is bad? When did your stance on this change?

Ciao,
BW

Dear Big Wig,

I've always said X is bad.

Sincerely,
FLG

FLG:

We all agree X is bad. However, I'm not sure why we're discussing it at all. I want to do Y.

Ciao,
BW

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.