Monday, June 28, 2010

Question of the day

The Ancient writes over at A&J:
Unlike FLG, I take a dim view of Georgetown students, in that in 30 plus years of intermittent polling, I have never met even one who knew when the Civil War was fought. And my sample size exceeds one hundred.

Question:
Are you trying to say that FLG can't name the years during which the American Civil War took place?

To get the proper tone with which the question is asked, think of that scene from Major League when the guy asks about Jesus Christ and the curveball. Also, FLG cannot believe that President Palmer worshiped Jo-Bu. Haven't seen the movie in years. Didn't know it was him.

9 comments:

Withywindle said...

1642 - 1646, 1648.

FLG said...

Of course, and the colors the soldiers wore obviously represented Lancaster Red and York White.

The Ancient said...

FLG --

My sample may have been slightly biased, as it was tilted towards good-looking girls and the boys in their company.

(OTOH, if you were to ask me what about the real world all those suddenly surplussed wallahs from the Soviet Studies Section know about anything at all, I might have been harsher.)

In any event, I wasn't referring to graduate students. (When you live in Georgetown, graduate students don't really count, as they are seldom at issue.)

Best, etc.

Withywindle said...

FLG: Seriously? If so, you're a bit off ...

FLG said...

Are you asking me if I think the War of the Roses took place during the 1640s?

Withywindle said...

Er, yes.

Robbo said...

Who can forget Cromwell's Charge on the third day at Gettysburg?

Withywindle said...

FLG: Hoping you don't feel wounded to the core.

FLG said...

Oh, I don't blame you. Most people wouldn't know when the American or English Civil Wars took place and probably think the War of the Roses is just a movie with Michael Douglas.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.