Friday, May 28, 2010

Please Permit Me One More Post On The Topic Of Lost

Despite Withywindle's objection to the Platonic tradition's low opinion of the poets, it seems to FLG that most of the people who liked the Lost ending liked it because it tugged at their heart strings. Please see this comment over at Amber's place:
Did any of the above commenters watch Lost, beginning to end? Because I think if you polled people who did, 80% loved the ending. There are a lot of people trumpeting their sophistication by hating it, but I found it to be the most moving television or film experience I've never had.

4 comments:

Withywindle said...

Of course it tugged at their heart-strings. I'm not objecting to that; indeed, I'm saying that's how poets approach truth. (And philosophers too, really.) That's not a reason to object to Lost. The question is, are the heart-strings tugged well or badly? Or, does the intellectual mushiness betray the characters, hence move your passions the wrong way? - but objecting to emotion pure and simple is not the way to approach art.

FLG said...

It felt cheap. Like here's a pile of shit, but we'll make you cry.

Alpheus said...

I think -- and this relates to my own problem with Lost -- that pathos only works in the context of a world that seems real on its own terms. If the world is just a backdrop for pathos, then pathos becomes cheap sentimentality.

Once I started to worry that Lost's plotlines weren't going anywhere, I stopped caring about the characters and their feelings because I lost the illusion that their world was real. And if their world wasn't real, what were they?

I thought Heroes was another show that ended up choosing sentiment over verisimilitude. But in the case of Heroes I didn't see it coming, and I felt royally screwed.

Withywindle said...

Agreed. Also Battlestar, as the Cylons ceased to be a consistent menace, etc. This is probably a characteristic danger with Fantasy & SF as a genre, that the world gets mucked up and you cease to care about the characters.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.