Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Correspondence

I received an email from somebody asking for advice from successful bloggers with starting a blog. Since I know nothing about successful blogging myself and was somewhat curious what the recommendations for successful blogging were, I googled it. Broadly speaking, there seem to be two. First, post a lot. FLG, check. Second, have a niche. Huh? Niche? That must be where I've gone wrong.

I will say, if I do say so myself, that one of my relative strengths is the ability to understand the nexxus of economics and politics. For instance, many economics types look at the euro and discuss debt ratios, the financial market's reaction, the effect on interest rates, and..you get the idea, but they are totally out of their element in politics. Many people who understand and think politics view the markets as some sort of overlord that is telling Greece what to do. A point which they either reluctantly accept or angrily denounce. I understand the economic and political issues, the political-economy if you will, well, at least to some extent, and try to make some sense of it all. I don't think that's my niche really. Just something I think I'm better than most at doing. I only mention it because it is so astonishing to me recently how poorly equipped many people are, even ones who are supposedly experts in economics or politics, when thinking about these issues.

Anyway, if you want to be a successful blogger, then I'd ask somebody else.

2 comments:

Alpheus said...

Is it "have a niche" or is it "have a clear, consistent voice"? I think successful bloggers sometimes interest themselves in weirdly disparate topics: the Power Line guys like legal issues, Dartmouth, beauty pageants, Minnesota, soccer, Ella Fitzgerald, . . . but even so you know exactly what you're going to get when you visit Power Line. Ditto for The Anchoress, Instapundit, Andrew Sullivan, et al.

I think you've done a good job of creating a clear, consistent blog persona.

Anonymous said...

Yah, what Al said. Nobody else covers object sex like you do. dave.s.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.