Thursday, March 18, 2010

Quote of the day II

Lexington:
Not even Mrs Pelosi's closest allies would claim that she is a great orator. What she is good at is twisting arms and counting votes.

This has always been my take on Pelosi. She's not a deep thinker, but she sure can twist arms.

Her response of "Are you serious? Are you serious?" when somebody asked her if a health care mandate was constitutional seems to betray a complete lack of pensiveness on her part. Say what you want about Newt Gingrich, but he'd at least have an answer to that question off the top of his head. It may have been slightly crazy, but it would've been an answer. I'm not terribly confident that Speaker Pelosi gives much thought at all to the constitution. In particular with health care it seems that her thinking is: Health care is good. Therefore, anything done to expand health care must be constitutional. Regardless, I think she knows political jujitsu and how to count. Beyond that I just don't find her that impressive.

3 comments:

Bill Flanigen said...

Palin claimed that Pelosi responded with "but I like it!" when someone suggested to her (Pelosi) that deem-and-pass might be unconstitutional. People laughed at Palin for that one, but I'm not so sure that Miss Alaska is lying. There's the ring of truthiness to it.

Off-topic question: I'm considering teaching myself French, at least for reading. I'm tired of English and German. Do you have any recommendations of particularly helpful techniques/programs/books for a beginner? Assume a strong grasp of the fundamentals of English grammar. (That is, I don't need to be taught again what it means to conjugate a verb.)

FLG said...

There are a bunch of free resources on the web:
http://www.rfi.fr/lfen/statiques/accueil.asp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/

Plus a ton of podcasts in iTunes.

I also bought Tell Me More French, which helped a lot too.

Anonymous said...

Nancy Pelosi rhymes with Bela Lugosi. The only difference is Bela's fangs were fake, as was the blood he drank...

Mrs. P

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.