Friday, March 12, 2010

Efficacy Of Economic Sanction

Jason Kuznicki has a post on whether economic sanctions work.

This reminded me that Robert Pape wrote a paper in the late-90s called Why Economic Sanctions Do Not Work (PDF). Then, Kimbery Ann Elliott responded with The Sanctions Glass: Half Full or Completely Empty?, which argues that Pape defines success too narrowly. She offers, what I remembered her describing as, a more nuanced view and comes out in favor of sanctions as one of many tools. Pape then responded again with Economic Sanctions Still Do Not Work in which he states "If I am right, then sanctions have succeeded in only 5 of 115 attempts, and thus there is no sound basis for even qualified optimism about the effects of sanctions."

I think I have the full PDFs still stored somewhere.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.