Friday, January 8, 2010

If I'm Reading This Correctly

...then Matt Yglesias is arguing that health reform won't really make people that much healthier, but will create jobs:
The most obvious way that health care reform impacts people is by helping sick people get treatment. That said, most studies indicate that the impact of health care services on health outcomes is actually a lot smaller than people are inclined to believe. The health care system is, however, a major chunk of the economy. And making it operate more efficiently should thus have noteworthy macroeconomic impacts.

He goes on to say that the economic impact isn't all that big.
To be fair, this impact is not super-gigantic. And you could say much the same about reform’s deficit-reduction potential. It’s not something you should sneer at, but it’s not earth-shattering. And this is the way it goes with a very good, but fundamentally moderate bill. On all major fronts—growth and jobs, access, delivery system reform, cost control, deficit reduction, access expansion—it moves the ball forward.


But nevertheless I'm fucking baffled by the statement that access to health care has a lot smaller impact than people think, but it's still super important that everybody have access. I mean, isn't that what all the sob stories are about?

Mrs. Sympathetic Person was denied care; she died.

If that implied causality isn't that big a deal in many cases, then what the fuck are we doing all this for?

I wish I could remove my brain, soak it in turpentine or beer (I'm not quite sure which), and still blog, like Mr. Yglesias. It's sad really. Before he went to work for CAP, I thought he was a reasonable and intelligent liberal. Now, he's like a hamster on a wheel. Lots of activity without much to show for it.

2 comments:

David said...

I wonder what Matt Y would think of my proposal for job creation via retrovertical transportation.

FLG said...

I don't know, but Droopy Dog would love you.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.