Saturday, December 12, 2009

Skhole versus Otium

These seem to represent the same thing, leisure, but not quite in the same way.

I don't want to get to far into linguistic shit for my paper, but it does seem to follow the leisure as contemplation to the leisure as merely free time trajectory that I'm arguing. Not that otium is free time, but it seems to be closer to mere free time than skhole. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Then again I don't know Greek or Latin, so I am probably only seeing what I want to see and don't know shit.

1 comment:

Alpheus said...

My two cents is that what you're saying is right.

Googling otium and schole gets interesting results.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.