Friday, November 6, 2009

Quote of the day

Miss Self-Important:
This is an axe I will one day grind in article form, but I think the rise of a professional school librarian class in the postwar error has contributed a great deal to the popularity of socially-conscious "problem novels" in YA lit as well as the (manufactured) hysteria about "banned books." This seems to me to have been part of a larger war over childrearing authority between enlightened, progressive educational professionals and benighted, regressive parents in the past 40 years. Trends in children's literature track this war very closely.


Somehow I doubt that Miss Self-Important ever thinks to herself, "Wow, I've never thought of it that way before, FLG. Yet, now that it's been brought to my attention it's both obvious and fascinating." But I feel that way quite often in the reverse.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.