Thursday, November 26, 2009

Conor Caulfield

Conor has some points in his response to Helen, but I still can't get over the naive and childish (or, if you prefer, idealistic) Holden Caufield-esque railing against phonies that I've unfortunately only recently come to realize inundates his writing.

I think Helen's point, though I don't want to put words in her mouth, is that there are worse things than selling out and, in fact, this has been part of politics since the dawn of history. If you have a problem with that, then you have a problem with politics. There are gradations of selling out and also worse things than taking a PR or lobbying job to pay the bills because there's a new baby at home. Reality sometimes trumps idealistic, romantic notions. That's politics.

2 comments:

Hilarius Bookbinder said...

Not being especially interested in this fight, I won't comment on that, except to say that there's a difference between "selling out" as an unfortunate reality of political life and a lionization of those who sell out. It's not clear to me that Helen can always tell the difference, as in the case of her oh-so-counterintuitive defense of city bosses and machine politics.

FLG said...

Fair point, my Kierkegaardian friend.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.