Thursday, November 19, 2009

Classes At Georgetown

From the Georgetown Classics Dept course descriptions:
270. Apuleius. We will read the *Golden Ass* of Apuleius, the funniest, sexiest, holiest, weirdest novel of antiquity. Students are not required to convert to Isis-worship during the course nor will they be given extra credit for doing so, but the challenge of figuring out when Apuleius is serious and just what he's serious about will be adventure enough. Requires advanced Latin, detective skills, and a sense of humor.

Classicists are a bit off. Yes, Alpheus and Arethusa, you heard me.

6 comments:

arethusa said...

Classicists are a bit off. Yes, Alpheus and Arethusa, you heard me.

That's what we've been trying to tell you since Day One, FLG. But do you listen? Noooo.

Also, the Golden Ass is a really sucky novel. Especially in Latin.

Withywindle said...

Really? Why?

arethusa said...

Well, it's boring. It's repetitive. The ending is weird. And Lucius really is an ass, whether he has a tale or not.

arethusa said...

Ooops, I meant tail. But, hey! I made a punny!

Andrew Stevens said...

My Latin professor bought me a copy of the Robert Graves translation for my graduation. It's better than the original Latin, I think.

Alpheus said...

Wow. I'm so sorry I'm late to this post. I don't think The Golden Ass is "sucky" -- I think it's amazing. It's a bawdy comic romp, a magical fantasia, a post-modernist mind-bender, and a priceless glimpse into the Roman provincial underclasses. Plus, when studying it, you get to say "ass" over and over again.

As Arethusa will attest, I am a master (or at least an enthusiast) of meretricious course titles/descriptions.

Andrew: I'm clutching my chest in horror at the suggestion that the English could be better than the Latin!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.