Tuesday, October 21, 2008

For Geeks

Schneier:
Quantum cryptography is back in the news, and the basic idea is still unbelievably cool, in theory, and nearly useless in real life.

The idea behind quantum crypto is that two people communicating using a quantum channel can be absolutely sure no one is eavesdropping. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle requires anyone measuring a quantum system to disturb it, and that disturbance alerts legitimate users as to the eavesdropper's presence. No disturbance, no eavesdropper -- period.


Quantum channel means that the medium of transport is extremely small, for instance, a stream of individual photons.

3 comments:

C.S. Perry said...

Well…if you want to get really geeky…what about the much-vaunted “Heisenberg Compensator” that seems to allow Transporters to function? Couldn’t I use one to eavesdrop on whomever I choose?

FLG said...

You totally outgeeked me, and I presume it would allow you to eavesdrop at will.

C.S. Perry said...

I'm none too sure of how proud I should be of outgeeking you.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.