Friday, October 3, 2008

Correspondence

Aren't you being an elitist just like the people you complain about?


I don't think so. It's hard to imagine anybody who would disagree that Palin seems to be the least knowledgeable on major international issues of the four candidates. The question is whether she is knowledgeable enough. This isn't about what school she attended or what town she grew up in. This is about some basic familiarity with international politics and national domestic issues. While I understand that her position as governor or mayor would not offer direct experience with foreign affairs, I expect that candidates for national office would be interested in and understand it at least as much as I am and do.

I don't doubt for a second that she could pick it up. My position, unlike some on the left, isn't that she is a country bumpkin incapable of comprehending these issues. My concern is that she does not understand them fully yet, and that her president would be old. Therefore, she has to be ready to be president. But does she realistically have to be prepared to assume the presidency on day one? I don't know. People always use that phrase, but it seems more of a cliche than actual concern I think. The shortest presidency was 32 days and that was because of pneumonia, which is not something I worry about today.

1 comment:

alan_howe said...

From the University of Minnesota's CIDRAP:

"A total of 56,247 deaths were attributed to flu and pneumonia in 2006, a rate of 18.8 deaths per 100,000 population, according to the CDC report."

Nearly two of every 10,000 Presidential candidates are apt to perish from these diseases this year alone!

If only Palin could have told us what papers and magazines she reads, so we could gauge if she read at least headlines that reported national and international events.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.